All of our Year 10 Students have just been out for two weeks on over 200 work placements to a wide variety of different employers including the RAF at Linton on Ouse, Betty’s, Aviva, York City FC, Total Sport, Primary Schools, Nursing Homes, Beauty Shops, Stead Vets, Hairdressers, Marks and Spencer’s, Architects, Stockbrokers, NFU Insurance, Nurseries, The Pig and Pastry, SES Ltd, Skosh Restaurant, Network Rail and Thimbelina Dressmakers, along with many others.
Our current Year 10 students were asked after their placement whether they think the school should continue offering Work Experience next year and this is a sample of what they said:
- “They should because it is a good way to see the outside world and assume your own responsibilities, and increase your confidence.”
- “Being at my work placement confirmed that this is what I want to do as a career and will make me focus harder on the GCSE grades I need.”
- “I think they should because the experience helps you learn about the working world and how people are at work, and how they do their jobs every day. It’s a good opportunity to have hands on experience in an industry that you may be interested in pursuing a career in one day.”
- “I think they should because it is a great experience and experience is one of the main things an employer looks for. Without the opportunity of work experience it is hard to get that in many fields.”
- “It’s an experience that you cannot get from being in school and it gives you a whole new perspective of the world. In addition, you gain a lot of respect for the people who do the jobs you try day in day out. Without work experience, pupils would leave school and be walking into the world blind.”