Welcome to Drama & Theatre Studies
Highlights of Romeo and Juliet, an All Saints production, February 2013
- At KS3 our main aim is to instil confidence and enthusiasm in Performance and a love of Theatre that will encourage pupils to choose Drama at a higher level in the school. They are assessed using National Curriculum levels in Year 7 and have the option to begin a Performing Arts GCSE (AQA) in Year 9 which is assessed at the end of Year 10.
- GCSE Drama pupils follow the challenging and well respected AQA course. They are assessed in terms of performance skills throughout Years 10 and 11 but their written exam isn’t until the end of Year 11. The Course is broken down into 60% practical units and 40% written assessment.
- A Level pupils also complete the rigorous AQA course and are assessed by an end of year practical performance at AS and A2 which accounts for 40% of their overall marks. The other 60% is gained through their written exams and supporting notes for performances.
A wide variety of extra- curricular opportunities are available to pupils throughout the key stages:
- At KS3 a Drama club is run weekly. Open to all pupils, the club aims to extend keen performers ability, enthusiasm and knowledge of Drama through a range of games, activities and plays. There is also the option to take part in the ‘Lower Site Performance Evening’, held in the summer term.
- At KS4 pupils who take Drama or Performing Arts at GCSE get the opportunity to see a variety of different theatre companies from ‘Out of Joint’ and ‘Northern Broadsides’ to ‘Frantic Assembly’ and ‘DV8’. Pupils also have to opportunity to perform in showcase evenings for parents in Years 10 and 11.
- At KS5 pupils watch a wide range of theatre and get the opportunity to visit a number of different performance spaces in York, Manchester and Leeds. They also have the opportunity to take part in workshops from innovative theatre companies such as ‘Out of Joint’ and ‘Frantic Assembly’.
Main Programmes of Study
|Introduction to Drama Part 1||Introduction to GCSE Drama (styles and techiques)||Introduction to AS Drama(Styles and techniques)||Introduction to devising techniques, practitioners, styles.|
|Introduction to Drama Part 2||Blood Brothers by Willy Russell||‘A Doll’s House’ by Isben (part one)||‘Our Country’s Good’ by Timberlake Wertenbaker and ‘Lady Windermere’s Fan’ by Oscar Wilde (part one)|
|Physical Theatre||Devising one: stimulus varies (e.g. The London Riots, Poetry)||‘A Doll’s House’ by Isben (part two)||‘Our Country’s Good’ Timberlake Wertenbaker and ‘Lady Windermere’s Fan’ by Oscar Wilde (part two)|
|Shakespeare: (Romeo and Juliet)||The Crucible by Arthur Miller||Performance piece (understanding and interpretation)||Performance piece (understanding and interpretation)|
|Titanic||Devising Two: Crime and Punishment||Performance piece (Rehearsal and Performance)||Performance piece (Rehearsal and Performance)|
|Summer Term Performances||Revision for the written paper||Revision for the written paper||Revision for the written paper|